Friday, April 29, 2016

NodeJS and Intel Edison... back to work

I have found some time to dedicate to the issues I have found using NodeJS on Intel Edison.

As I wrote some posts ago, the version shipped with Edison is Node 0.10, that is not really stable.
For example, using MQTT, a simple programs that reads from several sensors and send msgs to a MQTT Topic, hosted on RPI, stops working after about 10 minutes (it depends on the frequency of sends).

I have tried to upgrade to at least Node version 0.12.7. But the upgrade of the entire environment is not easy.

I asked on Intel Communities, and this is the answer from an Intel guy:

"Hello LSaetta,
As you mentioned, mraa and upm are not compatible with the later versions of Node.JS. There are methods to make mraa work with newer versions of node, however they don't work at 100%. So, my best suggestion is that you submit an issue to the mraa and upm developers in https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/mraa or https://github.com/intel-iot-devkit/upm".

Manually you can do the upgrade, finding a combination that works, but it is really NOT easy.

I'll post an issue and ... hope Intel wants to really improve support of NodeJS.

No comments:

Post a Comment